Skip to main content

HOW FRIENDLY IS YOUR BANK?

Hi lovely people,
The other day I needed to get some feedback from several banks within Kitengela Township about their support in the upcoming Dyslexia Awareness Walk that will be on 5th of July, 2014. (You are all welcome to join us). I headed out ready with the necessary material. My account is with a bank that I have not had any complaints with so far in regard to being friendly to persons with special needs. In this post I will only describe the banks and assign them numbers in the order that I visited them.
#1 This bank is on the ground floor of the building so I thought to myself, "This should be easy", well, I first noticed the ramp at the entrance which extended about half a foot, this meant that it is quite short and steep, immediately afer it is a step so I fail  to see point in having the ramp. As i proceed inside, I request to see the manager but am informed that he is not in so I will leave report with the lady at the first desk. I took a seat as I waited and in no time the lady being served leaves and it is my turn, I get up from the seat with my signature manoeuvre and I can see the confused look on the attendant's face. She was however not as receptive to what I was talking about and made no promise of follow up.

#2 I headed out to the next bank which was on the other side of the same building. At the entrance, there is a high step and I had to support myself against the door-frame to get in. The guard on the other side of the door offered me a seat which I noticed was quite low so I opted to remain standing as I waited for my turn. The clients being served left about 5 minutes later and I went in. The manager was quite welcoming and this made it easier for me as I explained my cause. We had a fruitful discussion which ended in a promise for a feedback. Before I could leave, I challenged him about the unfriendly entrance to their bank, it's sad that he insisted that there is nothing that he could do about it even after explaining to him that there are portable ones just like the mudguard they have at the entrance. I lived to fight another day.

#3 Walking into the banking hall, I proceeded to ask the nearest attendant whether I can see the manager and am shown in, so far am impressed by their entrance that had no step and their customer service. When I walk in, the manager informs me that she is in a hurry and I promise to take the least time possible. I explained the reason for my visit and she was amazed that such an initiative is happening within the town. She promised to give me feedback, soon.

#4 When approaching the bank, I was hoping that the banking hall is on the ground floor, I threw my hopes to the birds when I saw the flight of stairs with a rail on only one side leading to the bank. The manager's side looked deserted so for a second I was afraid that was the same thing about the service that I would receive. But after about 30 minutes of conversation with the manager, complete with a discussion about how their contactor is taking too long to complete the ground floor where the bank was relocating to to ensure it's more accessible.After this, the stairs somehow seemed more bearable.

#5 The next bank was also on the first floor but this time round, the guard at the ground floor asked why I was not going on up, I told him that their very unfriendly steep stairs were not as welcoming. Upstairs, the lady near the manager's office told me to wait for those being served to exit, when they left, the one stepping in for the manager was in a hurry but I made sure to express my disappointment. She explained that they serve those who can't use the stairs in their executive banking wing which is on the ground-floor. I appreciated this but pointed out that with the guard at the ground not being aware then its is futile to have that provision. I left there a disappointed person.

#6 The makeshift ramp at the entrance which has only one step puts a smile on my face and again I pray for good experience. The talk stretched into disability mainstreaming and the manager promised to get back to me with a response. A good one I did have and I came out almost 30 minutes later smiling just as I was when walking in.

#7 The entrance to this bank was very friendly and so were the lovely ladies I met inside.

The experiences of that day got me thinking, ever so often we push for buildings to be made friendly, banks are among the basic amenities that any person will use at somepoint in their lives.

So, how friendly is your bank?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell the African Story

Monday Blues That Monday had been the most difficult day I had had and I have had so far, I had been stuck all day trying to sort out a personal issue and I was dealing with the most difficult and demeaning people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in my life, my phone’s battery was drained so I had switched off the data option around midday. When I got home, by habit I plugged in the phone, waited for it to come on and turned on the data as I went to get rid of the layer of dirt and sweat. I was so tired and not really in the mood to eat, but I knew for a fact I wouldn’t survive the night seeing that a single banana is all I had eaten for lunch. Missed calls, text messages, Twitter notifications, new emails, updated applications, WhatsApp messages, my notification panel was overflowing! For some reason that day, emails got priority and there it was “Congratulations! You were chosen in the 2015 Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders” To say I got confused is a

Disability acceptance and inclusion lessons from my Cûcû

In loving memory, ûromama kwega kuuraga  It is going to be 3years this 20th of August since you left us and I’m only just now being able to put this down. To write you into the world. To go back to writing on here. We shared so many unspoken truths that made me feel so so safe around you I have vague memories of carrying one litre water containers when my 6year old agemates were carrying ten litre and five litre ones  The small bundles of napier grass, handfuls probably when they carried bundles that weighed them down You made sure I had a bundle to carry or a container of water  You made it feel okay for me to come early in the morning to get my mandatory 5litres of water for washing the classrooms instead of having to carry them the estimated 5kilometres walk to school at 7/8years I’m the age before mobile phones, I would be tired at the end of my school day and walk to your home less than 10minutes away instead of the slightly more than 30minutes brisk wal
Social media alone cannot be enough to create awareness, hence we need mainstream media. General advocacy alone may not make the challenges of living with a progressive muscle degenerative condition well understood so once in a while we resort to self advocacy ( putting yourself on a pedestal) so that the lives and experiences of other people can be easier than yours. Questions are welcome :-)