Skip to main content

EMERIN PROTEIN ( A little more biology)

Hello family, I want to take us back to exploring the various types of muscular dystrophy that exist. Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy is what we look at today, there might be more medical terms here than most of us are used to but I will try to keep it simple.
This type affects males only and females can only be carriers without showing any signs.
Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy (EDMD) is a rare childhood-onset degenerative muscle disease seen almost exclusively in males. Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy is characterized by a classic triad (3 ) of symptoms. These include (a) early-onset contractures, (b) very slow progressive muscle weakness and degeneration involving the upper arms and lower legs, and (c ) cardiac (heart) muscle disease.

Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy affects the arms, legs, spine, face, neck, and heart. This disease is characterized by contractures of the elbows and the Achilles tendons at an early age, slowly progressive muscle wasting and weakness, and life potentially life-threatening heart muscle disease. Intelligence is normal, however physical problems may be severe.
Symptoms and disease severity may vary between individuals.
This form can either be inherited or result from a mutation of a person's genes.
Emerin is an important protein normally found on the inner nuclear membrane of skeletal, cardiac, and smooth muscle cells as well as in other tissues. Emerin is missing from the nuclear membranes of males affected with X-linked EDMD. Emerin is not altered in other neuromuscular disorders. ( Dystrophin is the protein which is usually missing in most muscular dystrophies.)
Contractures, or frozen joints, are a hallmark of all forms of EDMD. A contracture is the abnormal shortening of a body part, usually a muscle or a tendon. This shortening creates joint deformity. Contractures usually begin in childhood or adolescence before any muscle weakness is evident. In most cases, contractures are recognized before patients reach 10 years of age. Contractures are treated with stretching, physical therapy, bracing, and surgery.
Muscle weakness and degeneration are slowly progressive, affecting a distinct pattern of muscles. This pattern includes the muscles of the upper arms and the muscles of the lower legs. The biceps (inner upper arm), triceps (outer upper arm), tibialis anterior (inner lower leg), and peroneal (outer lower leg) muscles are commonly involved. Later, the muscles of the shoulder girdle and pelvic girdle, the shoulder and hip area muscles that stabilize and support the attachment of the arms and legs, may also be affected. Additionally, the highly specialized muscle of the heart is at risk for weakness and degeneration.
The muscle and skeletal symptoms of EDMD are treated as they appear. People with EDMD should see a neurologist at least once a year. Stretching and working with a physical therapist is useful in preventing or delaying contractures. Occupational therapy can help patients adapt their activities and environment to their own particular needs. Ankle and foot braces are used to prevent leg deformity. Surgery may be necessary to release contractures. Exercise can help maintain muscle use and overall good health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell the African Story

Monday Blues That Monday had been the most difficult day I had had and I have had so far, I had been stuck all day trying to sort out a personal issue and I was dealing with the most difficult and demeaning people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in my life, my phone’s battery was drained so I had switched off the data option around midday. When I got home, by habit I plugged in the phone, waited for it to come on and turned on the data as I went to get rid of the layer of dirt and sweat. I was so tired and not really in the mood to eat, but I knew for a fact I wouldn’t survive the night seeing that a single banana is all I had eaten for lunch. Missed calls, text messages, Twitter notifications, new emails, updated applications, WhatsApp messages, my notification panel was overflowing! For some reason that day, emails got priority and there it was “Congratulations! You were chosen in the 2015 Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders” To say I got confused is a

Disability acceptance and inclusion lessons from my Cûcû

In loving memory, ûromama kwega kuuraga  It is going to be 3years this 20th of August since you left us and I’m only just now being able to put this down. To write you into the world. To go back to writing on here. We shared so many unspoken truths that made me feel so so safe around you I have vague memories of carrying one litre water containers when my 6year old agemates were carrying ten litre and five litre ones  The small bundles of napier grass, handfuls probably when they carried bundles that weighed them down You made sure I had a bundle to carry or a container of water  You made it feel okay for me to come early in the morning to get my mandatory 5litres of water for washing the classrooms instead of having to carry them the estimated 5kilometres walk to school at 7/8years I’m the age before mobile phones, I would be tired at the end of my school day and walk to your home less than 10minutes away instead of the slightly more than 30minutes brisk wal
Social media alone cannot be enough to create awareness, hence we need mainstream media. General advocacy alone may not make the challenges of living with a progressive muscle degenerative condition well understood so once in a while we resort to self advocacy ( putting yourself on a pedestal) so that the lives and experiences of other people can be easier than yours. Questions are welcome :-)