Skip to main content

FIRE! FIRE!

So today the management of the building where of offices are based decided to pull a fire drill on us! Fun right? Not at all. A while back when one of my colleagues went for fire rescue training organised by the management of the building, one of the questions I asked her is if they had been given any tips on how to evacuate people with various disabilities in case of a fire. No mention at all. I just kept hoping that in case of a fire drill they would give us a heads-up. Anxiety is a big part of my daily life which has seen me develop OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) to take control of situations and minimise my instances of anxiety. About two hours ago, I was hinted at that there would be a fire drill in the building anytime from 11AM. As you can maybe imagine, I was happy that i was in the know, but that was just before my anxiety kicked in. First, I became suddenly hungry despite having a pretty routine morning, then came fatigue not to mention the very restful night I had thanks to my 8hours of sleep. Then came the thirst, a few sips of water then came my crazy web searches titled "fire drills for people with limited mobility". Barely had I finished reading the first web-result than I heard the alarm go off.
"Let's get out! Let's get out!"
I grabbed my phone on the way out ( Yes, that;s the only valuable I seem to have :-D ) and stepped out of the office. My mind had refused to load the fact that we would be going down the flight of stairs from the 3rd Floor where our office is. I just checked to make sure I had someone walking behind me before I began the descent as my security that someone would not push me or touch me as the slightest unanticipated touch could make me loose my footing.
2nd Floor
1st Floor
Ground Floor, Hurray!!!!!
My legs had just began to tire and boy am I glad our office is not on 7th Floor!
We walked right out of the building and identified our assembly points and I got to really relax then.
Fire drill briefing at assembly point
 Moments later after a briefing we were cleared to go back into the building. First thought that came to my mind was the stairs but luckily the the management powered the lifts back on and my legs were spared.Back in the office, the feeling of two spoons http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/  being taken away from me came over my body.
I take several lessons from this,
- Prior warning about a fire drill only gives me more anxiety while allowing my brain time to process.
- A heads-up is not sufficient when only given to employees, visitors with disabilities will also be affected.
- Needs of persons with disabilities are not factored in in the emergency response planning especially basic training such as fire rescue.
- You're not always in control of how your spoons get used within the day.

Comments

  1. this came at a very less time anouncement and what the management should do in future is to be well prepared on such kind of emergency response expecially when dealing with person with disability within the building and hopefully they will have required equipment for evacuation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell the African Story

Monday Blues That Monday had been the most difficult day I had had and I have had so far, I had been stuck all day trying to sort out a personal issue and I was dealing with the most difficult and demeaning people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in my life, my phone’s battery was drained so I had switched off the data option around midday. When I got home, by habit I plugged in the phone, waited for it to come on and turned on the data as I went to get rid of the layer of dirt and sweat. I was so tired and not really in the mood to eat, but I knew for a fact I wouldn’t survive the night seeing that a single banana is all I had eaten for lunch. Missed calls, text messages, Twitter notifications, new emails, updated applications, WhatsApp messages, my notification panel was overflowing! For some reason that day, emails got priority and there it was “Congratulations! You were chosen in the 2015 Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders” To say I got confused is a

Disability acceptance and inclusion lessons from my Cûcû

In loving memory, ûromama kwega kuuraga  It is going to be 3years this 20th of August since you left us and I’m only just now being able to put this down. To write you into the world. To go back to writing on here. We shared so many unspoken truths that made me feel so so safe around you I have vague memories of carrying one litre water containers when my 6year old agemates were carrying ten litre and five litre ones  The small bundles of napier grass, handfuls probably when they carried bundles that weighed them down You made sure I had a bundle to carry or a container of water  You made it feel okay for me to come early in the morning to get my mandatory 5litres of water for washing the classrooms instead of having to carry them the estimated 5kilometres walk to school at 7/8years I’m the age before mobile phones, I would be tired at the end of my school day and walk to your home less than 10minutes away instead of the slightly more than 30minutes brisk wal
Social media alone cannot be enough to create awareness, hence we need mainstream media. General advocacy alone may not make the challenges of living with a progressive muscle degenerative condition well understood so once in a while we resort to self advocacy ( putting yourself on a pedestal) so that the lives and experiences of other people can be easier than yours. Questions are welcome :-)